Friday, October 22, 2021

Review: Word for Word Bible Comics' Jonah

So this is a bit different, but I couldn't resist. A cool opportunity from Bible Gateway's Blogger Grid arose (in case you haven't noticed, I've been displaying their badge for a few weeks now). They offered their members a digital preview of a Word for Word Bible comic being released here in the US. All I had to do was read my free comic book and write a review. WIN! Word for Word is a project by Simon Amadeus Pillario. He has several titles overseas, but currently just one (Matthew) is available for immediate purchase in the states; the one I enjoyed, Jonah, drops on November 1st (preorder it here). Allow me to say, our daughter has a friend in England who once had his fill of filet and crab legs at our expense and I just might be suggesting it's high time for payback. The least he could do is pick up one or two of the titles not yet available to us here. (Seb, you know who you are)

Pillario describes his comics as, "Unabridged, historically rich graphic novel of the Bible with a high view of scripture." I definitely agree. There is no skimping on facts or lack of research in these books. Included in the first few pages is Pillario's explanation of his treatment of biblical text. He genuinely makes an effort to rightly divide the Word of Truth. The end of the book is filled with pages of additional historical information, exegetical insights, and even a brief discussion of some controversy concerning the account of Jonah. This is not your second-grader's comic book. Additionally, I should mention, these graphics are recommended for those twelve years and fifteen years+. The advisory is due to the artist's renderings of topics addressed throughout Scripture. He in no way glorifies or exploits sin, but he does lend his talents to accurately portraying events.

And his artwork! As a kid, I loved to read. Words were always my thing. Sitting next to my dad on a Sunday afternoon reading the Comics was a moment in time worth putting up with all those pictures! After time, I began to enjoy them, and Mom bought me entire comic books of my own: superheroes and funnies. What I wouldn't give to have that collection! The artwork in Jonah not only brought back some wonderful memories, but it is top notch. Images and fonts communicate text in an entirely different way; the author creatively uses them to reinforce changes in language and tone. As a visual learner, I tend to picture events in my mind as I read. Seeing Pillario's interpretation of things that are not specifically addressed in Scripture adds a new dimension and new possibilities to ideas that have become so fixed in my thoughts. And his art is engaging. If you can find a fifteen-year old who isn't sucked in by these drawings, he's probably asleep. My husband has already requested I order a couple, and I'm planning to place some copies in our church library. 

I encourage you to check out Word for Word Bible Comics and preorder your copy of Jonah now!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment