Sunday, May 9, 2021

Everybody's Better Than Me. And That's Okay.

Okay, so you're better than me. I mean, you have the Benz and I have the FoMo; you have the shore house (They're "shore" houses in Jersey) and I get to sit in my yard and look at the neighbors' yards. You have the degree; I'm the world's oldest living sophomore. You retired as a lieutenant; I just retired. We could sit here and count the ways, and I'd be okay, but does that makes me humble? Is being humble having the power to crush someone, but not having the interest in crushing anybody? Is being humble knowing someone is wrong, but refusing to out them publicly? It is so much more. Just listen to this verse:

2 Chronicles 7:14 ~ "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

The Hebrew word translated "humble" in this verse is kana. Kana means to bend the knee; hence, to humiliate, vanquish:—bring down (low), into subjection, under, humble (self), subdue (Strong's). To humble oneself is to submit, to bow before someone (in this case, God) and to be willing to endure even humiliation. Imagine what it might mean to bring yourself low. In this world, it's the higher ground that gains you a military advantage; it's being at the top of the list that gets you the transplant; it's having the highest grades or the highest IQ that opens up opportunities in universities worldwide; it's the highest number of likes, of album sales, of awards, of followers that we are taught to worship or seek after. The lowly get crushed. That may be, but if we truly believe all things work together for good to those who love God and are His called (Rom. 8:28), there's nothing to worry about, right? 

Or, how about this verse? (You might wanna say "ouch" after you've taken a moment to let this one sink in. I did.):

Philippians 2:3 ~ "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself."

No need for translation there. "Let each esteem others better than himself." That means you're better than me. Even if you aren't. (But you are. Because God says so.) Now, we're not talking about "poor me, I'm not worth anything." The Bible is full of verses affirming our inestimable worth in Jesus Christ; in fact, it's the worth He ascribes to us that is the reason we ascribe worth to others, greater than the worth we ascribe ourselves. (Did you catch that?) When I speak of you, I speak more highly than I do of myself. When there is one chair remaining, I will stand. If you answer me harshly, I will answer you gently. If you have done something to offend me, if absolutely necessary, I will discuss it with you prayerfully, respectfully, and in love. If, through prayer, I find it is something I need to let go, I will do that. I'm not talking about tip-toeing around you as though you are fragile; I'm not talking about sucking it up to spare your feelings or avoid a confrontation; I'm certainly not talking about stewing quietly. I am talking about each believer resting in who they are through Christ, so that they can love others selflessly (agape*) and serve them daily. And I am certainly talking to myself as much as anyone else today.

So, you're better than me, and that's okay. Hopefully, I'll give you my seat one day.

*agape: (Greek) a love that is goodwill, benevolence, and willful delight in the object of love. Agape love involves faithfulness, commitment, and an act of the will.

No comments:

Post a Comment