Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Weeding the Garden

It's important to share with one another the good things God has done, the answered prayers and the saving graces. Even "seasoned Christians" need the encouragement received from stories of hope, and we should always give thanks to the Lord individually and corporately for His blessings. Last week at our ladies' Bible study, a friend gave such an account.

It seems she had received a pair of earrings from her daughter. They were the wire hook type, and as they are wont to do, one of those slippery little stinkers just wiggled its way out of her ear, while she was gardening in her front yard. She never even noticed until later in the day; she reached up and -- nothing but naked ear lobe! Half of her precious gift was missing. She and her husband searched, but to no avail. Days later, she and the hubby were once again outdoors, this time simply returning from an errand. She noticed some weeds in the back of the house and decided to pluck them as she walked passed. As she did -- you guessed it! There, under a troublesome weed was the lost earring. And the day it had escaped, she hadn't even been out back!

As I was working the other day, I dropped a dish. It slipped right out of my hand, and a word slipped right out of my mouth. A reminder I have "not arrived," as we are sometimes tempted to think. Anger is still a tremendous issue for me; so, I decided it was time to do a Bible study on anger. I want to uncover God's truth about anger, and meditate on the grace and peace He has made available to us -- to receive as well as pass on to others. I want to spend some time in His word and in prayer, allowing His Spirit to speak to me and direct me, hiding His word in my heart that I might not continue to sin against the very God who loves and upholds me.

I just started this morning, so I don't have any specific precepts to expound yet, but one thing did occur to me. My friend had looked and looked, desperately seeking her lost earring. She searched anywhere and everywhere that made sense to her, anywhere and everywhere her work had taken her that day. But it wasn't until she bent down to get rid of some troublesome, unwanted and, perhaps, threatening weeds, did she uncover that precious gift.

I wonder what I'll find when I toil to remove the weeds from my Master's garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment