Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Prayer and Preparation

This past Sunday, Mother's Day, I couldn't help but do a little self-evaluation. One thing that bothers me deeply is, though I kept in mind my role as Mom was to prepare my children to leave me, that sounded much better in my head than it translated into reality. I loved doing things for my children. I loved giving them things. I loved being around them. Now, none of these things administered wisely is bad; but when my purpose was to prepare them to stand on their own, I never considered the hardest part was preparing myself.

That's what Jesus may have been doing in Mark 6:45-52. Jesus sent His disciples to cross the Sea of Galilee before Him, a short seven mile journey for experienced fishermen. That night there was a terrible windstorm, so terrible they rowed about eight hours and only made it halfway across. Imagine how tired they must have been! Jesus appeared, calmed the storm, and Mark says the disciples were amazed, and they marveled "for they had not understood about the loaves, because their heart was hardened." This is where I called a "timeout." What do loaves and fishes have to do with a windstorm? Hadn't the disciples seen Jesus perform lots of miracles? Why didn't Mark compare this to Jesus calming the sea when they awakened Him -- an event he recorded in Mark 4:37-41?

In Mark 6:35 and 36, the disciples tell Jesus to send the multitude away so they can go buy something to eat. But Jesus says, "You give them something to eat." I'm going out on a limb here, but none of the Gospels indicate the crowd had complained about having nothing to eat. This seems to be a burdened placed on the hearts (or maybe in the bellies) of the disciples. That familiar "someone should do something about this" thing. So Jesus says, "Nah, nah, nah -- your idea, you do it. I'm here; I'm not going anywhere, but this is your moment to use what I've taught you." Just the way a loving mother, mentor, or friend will do. Don't forget, they'd just returned from healing and casting out demons and preaching the gospel; they had already been used by God to do tremendous things. But feed a multitude? Blank stares. So, Jesus showed them.

Now, back to the Sea of Galilee. "Go on ahead; I've got to pray," Jesus told them. Once again, just my thoughts, but I'm thinking Jesus was praying for them as He headed up that mountain; and I'm thinking He may have even been praying for restraint. "Father, I love these children. It is hard to watch them struggle out there; it's been five hours, and they are so tired. Show Me when it's best to go to them, if it is Your will at all." Somewhere around the eight-hour mark, Jesus appeared to His children. "Don't you remember the loaves and fishes? I sought the help of My Father and He did great things through My hands. That's what I've been trying to show you. Did you even call out? Did you try to still the wind with the Heavenly power that works within you?" Jesus wanted them to know, long before that dark day at Golgotha, the mighty power that stills the storm, that feeds a multitude, that raises the dead inhabits His children to the glory of God. He wants us to know that as well.

He may also have wanted us to know, preparing your children to leave the nest takes work; but preparing a mother for their leaving, takes prayer. I am praying for all you mommas today.

No comments:

Post a Comment