Sunday, May 13, 2018

Love Is a Gift... Any Day of the Year

Today I will have the distinct pleasure -- and incredible blessing -- of spending the day with some of my family. Of course, it's Mother's Day, and I'm not alone in that; but today I will celebrate their love for me. I'm sure that sounds a bit self-centered, but it's actually quite the reverse. The folks that will share their time with me today, love me for me. They are so loving, so forgiving, so gracious, they love me in spite of my mistakes and wrongdoings. What a fabulous Mother's Day gift!

As I study more and more about Jesus' ministry, I begin to appreciate His love for me and notice time and again how He demonstrates its foundation in who He is. Ephesians 2:1, says I was dead in sin, and on my own, had nothing worth His love. Isaiah 64:6, tells me I have not one redeeming quality or worthwhile achievement except that which my benevolent Creator has given or His Spirit enabled. Ephesians 2:4-5, tells of the great love, mercy and grace God has shown me because of who He is. But what is woven all throughout Scripture are marvelous examples of His unconditional love for each one of us. One in particular caught my attention the other day:

"Then the multitude came together again so that they could not so much as eat bread." ~ Mark 3:20

Yep, that's the one. These people had seen the works Jesus had done; they were either amazed or offended. Regardless their attitude, their reaction was no different. Those who wanted to be healed or entertained by Him pursued Him; those who wanted to accuse or humiliate Him pursued Him. Pressing, imposing, craving, grasping -- all for their own selfish motives. He'd been accosted in the synagogue, thronged by the sea; even in a house where He, no doubt, relished a delicious home-cooked meal, they respected no boundaries. 

But Jesus loved them anyway. He loved them by wanting more for them -- more than they wanted for themselves. They wanted bones mended or tremors calmed; they wanted sons and daughters restored or purses filled; they wanted food on their tables or crops in their fields; they wanted laws and tangibles; they wanted a Messiah that met their expectations. Jesus wanted them to know life instead of death; Jesus wanted them to know an identity free of shame; Jesus wanted them to know peace that passes all understanding and hope beyond this world; Jesus wanted them to know righteousness and joy. Jesus wanted them to know how much He loved them. 

The same holds true today. Will you worship Him for who He is?

No comments:

Post a Comment