Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I Am Sick of Tots and Pears!


Let me just say, I pray. If you want me to do something about your problems, and there is something I can do, I will. But if your problem is your problem, or it is bigger than the both of us, I pray.

Recently, the "tots and pears group" has become a disparaged class. From our President on down to the kid that sat next to you in pre-school and has somehow made it to your Twitter feed, "no one wants your thoughts and prayers." Well, my friend, that is complete foolishness right there. I know there are people who say "thoughts and prayers" who never give your grief or fear another thought, and certainly don't pray -- so let's just get those folks out of the way right now. I'm not talking about those people. And I'm not talking about using prayer as an excuse for inaction. I'm talking about people who really, regularly lift you and your situation up in prayer.

Prayer is a way we open the door to God in a situation. Sure, God knows what's going on, and God certainly works in ways we are not aware, at times we do not recognize His intervention, but through prayer we demonstrate our willingness to accept His management. Through prayer we give the issue to God and allow Him to work -- on it, on others, on illness, on finances, on pain, on us.

As I was praying for someone the other morning, it dawned on me what a perfect thing prayer is. As we pray for a specific need or concern we petition One who not only loves us beyond description, who not only empathizes with that need, but we petition God, who has the ability to bestow His wisdom, power, goodness, healing and grace on that situation! What good is prayer if we are merely lifting up our problems to an insensitive authority? What good would prayer do anyone if we were praying to someone who can't begin to understand the feelings that come with our tragedies, or the accruing side effects of difficult situations, or the need for us to endure them?! What good is it to pray to someone with no ability to affect your circumstances? But God, the One who inclines His ear to the faithful, loves us, has an understanding of our problems far beyond our own, and can intervene in ways we could never imagine. In fact, as I prayed, I realized I didn't have words enough or even knowledge enough to know how I should pray or what I was really asking for. But God knows! How great is that?!

I always tell folks, if you're on my mind, you're in my prayers. And I mean it. Thoughts and prayers. I honestly believe people have entered my life for the purpose of praying for me or being prayed for by me. Quick story: Two years ago, a young man by the name of Anthony, backed into my Explorer, causing some minor damage. We exchanged information. Less than two weeks later, my beloved "Pig" was totaled in a separate accident. I was privileged to call Anthony and tell him God had blessed him, he was absolved of his obligation. He was so sweet -- he asked if everyone was OK prior to thanking me repeatedly, but we have never crossed paths again. What could be the reason for such an unremarkable meeting? I can see a few -- one of which is, I occasionally pray for this young man. I figure God didn't cross our paths for nothing, and until He shows me something different or enables me to do something more tangible, I pray for Anthony.

So, meme, scoff, tweet, do what you feel have to do; but know, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment