Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Are You Bold Enough to Share the Gospel?

I did "street ministry" for the very first time, a year ago. Except it wasn't really on a street. I joined a group from our church as went to a nearby hospital to talk to some folks about Jesus. A hospital in our neighborhood. A hospital where my neighbors work. Five years ago, I could not have done that. All my life I had shown people what being a Christian looked like -- that is, when I wasn't acting like I was playing for the other team. I did good things; I smiled; I attended church. "This is what Christians do." My problem was legalism. I was doing Christian things, but I was not seeking Christ. Once I began truly seeking Christ and giving "me" up more and more each day, I really did begin to look like a Christian. I did things out of love for my Savior and love for others. "I want to serve you because I love Jesus." Better, right? Yes, but still not quite there. I needed to stop hiding behind the "virtual testimony", and start talking to folks. But how would I ever muster up enough courage for that? Let me tell you how.

First, I started mentioning church a little more; I started telling folks about what my church was doing, or how I went to church. But only when asked. "We have church stuff. What are you doing this weekend?"

Then, "God" began showing up in my speech. "God" was safe, right? Pretty much everyone believes in a god or some higher power; certainly everyone has used His name in vain, right? Safe.

"Time to take it up a notch", I thought. I began inviting people to church. "Hey, our worship band is pretty cool, and our church is kinda laid back. I think you'd like it." I was witnessing, right? Not so much.

Then, I began helping at a food bank. I told clients what God had done for me; how, at the lowest times of my life -- God. I told them that God is the reason I help others, that God is the reason I am able to give my time and some extra groceries to help others. I told them God wanted to help them, too, that He was never far from them, that He could turn their lives completely around. Can anyone share the gospel without mentioning Jesus?

Then, something happened. The church I had attended for years began to change. Messages were being preached on praying for the dead. There were "new ideas" about what was and wasn't in the Bible, and was and wasn't obedience to God's laws. There was a new focus, and it was not on Scripture. This wishy-washy brand of Christianity, this "seeker-friendly" gospel nauseated me. "Careful, don't offend people with talk about sin and hell and such." We left. In favor of a church that encouraged Scripture reading, that encouraged being heavenly-minded so you could be of earthly good, that encouraged seeking God above all else, that celebrated the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ. Publicly and often! I got "fired up", as they say, and I wanted to tell others about Jesus. With the support of a like-minded group of committed Christians, eager to serve the Lord, I began to tell others as well as show others! And I wound up speaking to total strangers about Jesus

God did that. Not overnight. But while I sought Him, while I fell more deeply in love with Him and His people, He planted His word in my heart; He strengthened my prayer walk and challenged my thinking; He drew closer to me and showed me the consequences of not clearly, accurately teaching the facts according to God's word; He gave me the support of a serious body of saints and gave me the words He wanted me to use. I only had to hold His hand and leap. It's all the boldness I ever needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment