Tuesday, January 2, 2018

On Purpose

It has been more than a year since I have posted here. I'm sure, eventually, I will address some of the things the Lord has taught me in that time, and the events that have occurred; but right now, I have been given a purpose, and I need to move toward that purpose. So, here it goes...

I have been studying the book of Luke in my personal time with the Lord, and I am nearing the end. In my reading, Jesus has been crucified, and the women have returned from the empty tomb to tell their account to the disciples -- some of whom were, no doubt, grieving, hiding, shaking their heads in disbelief, perhaps even feeling a bit foolish or betrayed. Luke says in 24:11, "And their words seemed to them like idle tales, and they did not believe them." The story of the women's encounter at the empty tomb was idle: stagnant, static; without purpose or effect; pointless, fruitless, powerless, and empty. Essentially, the polar opposite of what the account of Jesus' resurrection is -- or should be -- in me!

Now, I could elaborate on that -- the picture of Jesus' followers poo-poohing a bunch of women and their hysteria; what these men really thought... I'd like to, but not today. Purpose.

So, if the words of the women were as idle tales to them, what of Peter's reaction? Luke gives it to us in verse 12: "But Peter arose and ran to the tomb; and stooping down, he saw the linen cloths lying by themselves; and he departed, marveling to himself at what had happened."

Peter didn't think the women were nuts. Peter didn't think their words were empty or their tale was idle. Peter is the picture God gives us of how we should react when His words are truly life and power and purpose to us!
  • Peter arose! He got moving. He didn't give himself time to talk himself out of reacting. He didn't attempt to "apply reason." He didn't worry what the others would think if he got excited over the ridiculous rants of a few obviously emotional women. He arose. The sense I get from this is, immediately.
  • Peter ran to the tomb! I remember the slow, mournful pace at which my mother would always walk to pay her respects at the grave of her parents. They weren't going anywhere, after all. Peter ran! Excitedly! He could not be torn from his purpose. He could not be thrown of course. He moved quickly and directly toward his Savior, his Friend, his Teacher, his Power and Purpose for living!
  • Peter stooped down! Peter, in abandon, dropped to the only vantage point at which he could really substantiate the truth. He got his hands dirty without a second thought. He searched actively, purposefully for the hope that would determine his calling for the rest of his life -- an empty grave and a Living Savior!
  • Peter saw! Those who dismissed the words of the women as nothing more than idle tales did not, could not. To see as Peter did required movement, direction and discipline, and zeal.
  • Peter "departed, marveling to himself at what had happened." Peter left changed. He was still human, and, I'm sure, spent some sleepless nights trying to grasp the enormity of all he had just witnessed. But, because he believed, he took action.
We know from the rest of the New Testament that Peter continued to demonstrate his faith with his life. He continued to show everyone he met, the factual, historical account of Jesus' Resurrection was not idle, or empty, or powerless in any way.

What we believe determines the path we walk. And if I, too, believe the words of an angel, spoken to a group of women one morning: He is not here, but is risen!, I need to respond with more than an "Amen". I need to respond with all I've been given, and on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment