Sunday, July 26, 2015

What Kind of a World

What kind of a world is this where a mother turns her children against their father out of spite? What kind of a world is this where those appointed to serve, enslave and abandon instead ? What kind of a world is this where grandchildren steal from their elderly grandparents? What kind of a world is this where friends have exchanged the hard truths of the Bible for something more user-friendly and marketable? What kind of a world is this where good people struggle and ruthless killers are rewarded with perpetually updated law libraries and ample commissaries? What kind of world is this where a judicial system rewards a parent for their bank account rather than their parenting? What kind of a world is this where only some people have rights and others have entitlements?

The world.

Jesus' words: "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

One of my co-workers -- she's a great girl; would give you the shirt off her back -- but she wants everything to be right -- I mean, right, as in, the way it should be. She's where I was just a few years ago. I loved my job; I loved the company -- was proud to work for such a great company. Then, I began to realize my employer did not have the same enthusiasm for our relationship. I realized that even though I used to be a partner, I had become nothing more than a pleb. My co-worker? She's just getting the picture. And it hurts. She doesn't understand why an employer would do the things our employer does. She doesn't understand why her ideas -- which are clearly better -- are shot down, even condemned and ridiculed at every turn. She doesn't understand why things have to be this way, and she is taking it very personally. Why? Loyalty. Character. Integrity. Values she, and I, and millions of others have been raised with over the years. Values society reminds us day after day, time after time are passe; mere afterthoughts in our interactions with one another; something you hold onto until you can't.

The world.

God's Word: "For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

This terrible, broken, troublesome world is loved. By a great, mighty, awesome God. I'd hate to see what it will become when He no longer holds evil in check. But I place my trust firmly in Him and His goodness, in His kingdom and not in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment