Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Devil Called; He's Holding on to Hillary for a Few More Years

My bedtime is so ridiculously early I don't even want to say -- ok, I'm asleep before the weather -- at 5. But my little adventure this past week allowed me to catch something a little later -- Diane Sawyers' interview with Hillary Clinton. My teachers and professors had always said, "Stay abreast of world events and political activities; it will help you vote more intelligently in elections." With all due respect, politics today are a sham and an offense, and that horse has left the barn. If a politician's lips are moving, he/ she is lying. There are no statesmen/ people or public servants anymore. Diatribe over. However, I must have been feeling particularly self-loathsome and decided to tune in.

After Hill's assertion that Benghazi was certainly not the most dangerous American outpost -- well, definitely top twenty-five -- ok, top fif-- high tens, Diane questioned her on her responsibility. "Well, that's why we hired those people." "I am not qualified for those determinations." Yada, yada. By this time I'm screaming (inside) at the TV, "But they were your people; they are your responsibility! If I have people who work under me, it is my responsibility to monitor, to supervise them, and correct -- even fire -- them, if necessary. If I don't, if they fail miserably, IT'S ON ME!" Still, she refused to accept any responsibility on her part, OR admit to a Presidential race in 2016. Here's the rub, Clinton's book, Hard Choices, was released the following day. In it she says,

"I should have stated my regret sooner and in the plainest, most direct language possible. I held out against using the word mistake. It wasn't because of political expediency. [I]n our culture saying you made a mistake is often taken as weakness when in fact it can be a sign of strength and growth for people and nations." 
First of all, regret is not guilt. She has no intention of accepting guilt or taking responsibility of any kind. Why? Because it's politically convenient. "Yeah, but she sai--" Look what else she says.

Number two, she does not want to be viewed as weak. She did not use the word "mistake" because of some connotation of weakness she believes it holds in the eyes of the American people. Now, I'm not going to speculate what this body, "the American people" believe, but I do know what I believe, and what most of my friends believe. None of us is perfect, and the person who thinks they are, or feels others must believe they are, is conning someone. I know what a mistake is -- and I wouldn't define it as anything other than a misstep or misjudgment. Webster's doesn't either.

Mistake: to understand (something or someone) incorrectly; to make a wrong judgment about (something); to identify (someone or something) incorrectly   
Do we want a superhuman El Presidente? If Hill was so godlike, ran for President and won, she could usurp us all with her divine powers? We would be minions, serfs. Don't we want a representative? Someone who looks like us?

Number three, Ms. Clinton decides we (the Ignorant) all need to know a little bit about mistakes and, I assume she means, the character in the admission of them or wisdom garnered from the experience of it all. If this is indeed what you're saying, I'm with ya, Sister. Just one thing, you still haven't said you've made one.

Oh, and based on the hour I wasted:


I got yer back.

No comments:

Post a Comment