Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Are We There Yet?

I watched a driver putter through a school zone. Not the allowed 15 mph -- it is a limit, after all -- but, about half of that. The driver directly behind her immediately passed on a double yellow line the minute we got out of the school zone. Now, I say this not to judge, but to offer hope -- not so long ago, that very well might have been me. Patience, people.

It takes longer to spell "patience" than my husband can wait. And though I tend to be patient with others, I am far less patient with myself and my own goals. The two of us can get quite twisted when we are sitting there, waiting for the phone to ring. Just this morning, I prayed for God's strength and comfort while we wait patiently and obediently for our business to grow. It was one of those "aha!" moments.

Jesus walked this earth for approximately 33 years. He traveled the countryside dealing with bullies, line jumpers, liars, braggarts. and ignoramuses. You don't think His patience was tested? He was perfect, and he had to put up with people like me! Yet, He not only dealt with them, He demonstrated love to them! He knew life on earth wasn't a permanent gig. I'm sure there were plenty of times when he thought, "Father, isn't it time yet? Please!" But, He remained obedient to the Father and His plan.

He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane for the Father to "take this cup" from Him; Jesus feared what was to befall Him, as any man would. It's that fear that can sometimes compel us to pray we can just get it over with. But Jesus patiently and humbly endured all that was to transpire that we might know true love and the forgiveness of sins.

Scripture says, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

 Jesus was tempted to impatience. He was 100% human and 100% God. He chose to love; He chose patience and obedience, so that we might also.

No comments:

Post a Comment