Sunday, June 5, 2011

Trading Religion for Requirement

Micah 6:8b

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Why must we make things so complicated? 

I listen to the girls doing "Eenie, Meenie, Minee, Mo."  I remember adding all kinds of things to the end of the rhyme, sometimes doing calculations worthy of Nobel Prize, at lightning speeds just to ensure the desired result.  (Kids, don't ever let your parents witness this display of mathematical acumen -- it will be your Waterloo when it comes to homework and report cards later on!)  Sometimes we added just to add.  "My mother told me to pick this one and..."  Madison and Olivia do the same thing.  Their father does the same thing, for Pete's sake!  Is he trying to out last me?  Hoping eventually I'll surrender?  "Fine, fine, have it your way -- I can't take this anymore!"  Maybe.

We do the same thing when it comes to faith, salvation, and living as we should.  Perhaps it's cynicism that causes us to think, "If it sounds too good to be true..."  Maybe it's our desire to take some responsibility for our own salvation -- "In addition to trusting in Christ's redeeming blood you must..."  

A few months ago Scott and I made one of our great escapes to Lancaster.  I like Lancaster.  It's one of the places I go to "center" myself.  It is tradition, faith and simplicity to me -- visible reminders of the legacy my father gave me and the priorities my Father establishes for me.  On our last excursion we purchased a sign that now hangs in our family room:

"Do good things.  Love one another.  Leave the rest to God."

That is my reminder of Micah 6 -- what the Lord requires of me.  And it really is that simple.  If we are truly acting justly (with honesty, fairness, respect and honor), if we love mercy (compassion, kindness, forgiveness) and are walking humbly with God (with meekness and submissive respect, seeking God's will and acting in such a manner as to bring glory and honor to Him), we are doing all God requires.  It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment