Thursday, June 23, 2011

Just a Closer Walk with Thee

I couldn't have asked for a better vacation.  The weather was perfect -- low humidity, cool evenings and mornings, warm, bright afternoons.  People ask me what my plans are, or where I'm going; I'm not ashamed to say, "I'm staying home and doing nothing."  Scott has created such a beautiful home for us -- inside and out.  And rarely does my vacation wind up being "nothing;" we always find some new project, and usually run out of time to do everything we'd like -- even if it is just to stay up past 8PM!

On one of my early morning walks with the dogs I experienced one of those "happy-to-be-alive" moments.  The air was clean and cool, the grass -- freshly mowed, was thick and damp and fragrant, and the sun was like life and healing on my face.  God's blessings saturated my soul and everything around me.  I began to pray as I walked.  Before I realized it, I was almost home.  It seemed like only minutes before I was leaving our house, legs aching, determined I was only going half the way today.  As I thanked God for "being my legs" and carrying me the full course, I remembered Isaiah 40:31 --

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."


As surely as God had placed one foot in front of the other throughout our walk, as confidently and effortlessly as I took one step after the other, is the way in which He carries us through our good days and bad.  I never questioned whether the ground under my feet would be there; I never worried my legs would not support me; it's one of life's certainties.  As I walked I had this picture of my journey through life.  Of a relationship with Jesus so close, so assured, so trusting that I never consider being left unsupported, or with no sure place to put my feet.  I pictured taking each day, each step, each breath with Jesus, just as confidently and effortlessly as I took my steps through the wet grass.  I know Jesus pictures that too -- if only I am willing to keep my heart and mind staid on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment