Sunday, May 15, 2011

With Love, Your Mother

Sitting in church on Mother's Day, I was feeling good -- relaxed, looking forward to a day of doing very little.  The weather was beautiful; I'd even considered going to the wildlife reserve for a walk, then decided I wasn't even up for that.  "Such a nice day, I'd feel bad if I wasted it," I thought during Offering.  "Glad Pastor Tom isn't preaching on the Proverbs 31 woman today; I don't think I could stand it.  I feel so lazy today."  Then I saw her.  A mother, about my age.  I've known her for years.  Her oldest son is, I think, thirty or so, and mentally handicapped.  She was looking up at him as he swayed to the music.  She wasn't embarrassed that he was the only one standing; she wasn't adoring him or coddling him with her eyes.  She was just loving him.  I can't begin to know what her thoughts were, but her expression said, "Love."  Not pain, not bitter sweetness, not frustration or disappointment.  He was not her world, her all-in-all; she was not in love with him.  It was not fatigue and sleepless nights; it was not a cry for sympathy, or her empathy given to him.  It was love, pure and simple.  It was what Mother's Day is all about. 

Giving until you have no more to give -- or not.  Taking some much needed "me" time -- or not.  Handling it all with such synchronicity, such skill -- or not.  Stern discipline for you and your children -- or not.  Dinner before dessert, early bedtime, help with homework, white-knuckle driving lessons -- or not.  Dancing with abandon, laughing as if your bellies will burst, soaring like kites across rolling green hills -- or not. 

Point is, there's no exact science when it comes to being a mother.  Some of the best mothers "on paper" can turn out to be some of the worst in reality.  And that Proverbs 31 woman?  Have you ever tried to be her?  Well, if you're setting out to prove something, or win some kind of award -- forget it.  She was who she was because she loved; she feared the Lord and desired a Godly heart.  Remember, "If I... but have not love...?"  Mom's need prayer; Mom's need to know the Love of God. 

I knew then, how I'd spend my day.



Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.  (James 5:16 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment