Thursday, May 5, 2011

May I Have Seconds, Please?

Scott and I dropped into “our” pew Sunday morning, and as we settled in and I opened the bulletin, the Communion Offering envelope dropped to the floor. “Communion, really?” I thought, and not in a good way; as I looked to the altar at the elements I think I actually sighed. Even bit back the urge to suck my teeth. I was in “spectator” mode this day; in fact, I really hadn’t felt like going to church at all. I wanted to get in, “do my thing,” and get out. Yeah, I know, it sounds terrible. But how many times have we walked into church as less than eager participants, sat in the pew like drones going through the motions. Other times, we are spiritually “high;” singing with relish, raising our hands, glowing with adoration and fiercely scribbling every word as quickly as possible – devouring the Word. Jeremiah 15:16 says, “When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God of Heaven’s Armies.” On this Sunday, I was not even in the mood to nibble. And joy? Heart’s delight? Not even close. 

But as I looked up once again to the wine and the bread sitting on the altar, I began to meditate on what a privilege it is to be asked to commune with the King of All Kings. What if Christ had not shared His body and His blood with us? What if there’d been some other ransom? What if God had said, “Fine, your off the hook; have a great life.” This relationship we have been given is just that – a relationship. God desired a relationship with each one of us. He not only designed a way to save us from hell; He not only offered us His very own Son – He restored us to perfection, made us pure enough that He can look upon us, whole enough that we can enjoy relationship with Him. And He wants us to enjoy that relationship, to partake of what He gives us, to use Him for all He has, to become like Him through the power that He possesses. His gifts are ours. His wisdom is ours. His strength is ours. His righteousness is ours. All for the asking. And He wants us to ask – anytime, anywhere. He does not leave us in the lurch. He does not ignore or forget us. He hears our every concern, complaint, plea or cry; He hears when we praise Him and when we deny Him. He loves us that much. And if the God of the Universe is going to ask me to sit down at His table, and dine with Him, absorb his Spirit, partake of His very being and devour His words – call me anything you like, just don’t call me late for supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment