Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Meat and Potatoes Kinda Gal

Jeremiah 15:16
16Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.

“A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips,” my conscience sung to me as I popped the last of the cheesecake into my mouth.
“Why can’t vegetables taste like tiramisu, and hot fudge sundaes have fourteen calories?” I wondered.  No doubt our eight year old wonders that from time to time as well. 
Well, it’s not always easy to do the right thing, though the benefits are huge!  Just imagine what you would look like if you did eat nothing but hot fudge and cheesecake.  Eyuck!  Now, let’s slim things down a bit.  Envision yourself the picture of health, thriving on carrots and green beans; strong and bursting with energy on asparagus!  We are willing, after all, to punish our children when they refuse to do what’s best for them – vegetables included.
But what about what’s best for us as adults?  What’s best for us spiritually?
Last year I decided it was time; I was going to read the Bible in its entirety.  Having grown up in the church and attended Christian school, I was pretty confident I had at some point, read most of it.  Additionally, I was “pretty bored with the whole thing.” 
“In the beginning…”  Yeah, yeah, I know – bland, tasteless. 
So I decided to start off slow – one chapter a day.
Talk about thriving!  Talk about bursting with energy, fired up for Jesus, lean and mean with the Truth!  I read ten chapters daily.  I can’t get enough!  The benefits to my heart are unspeakable; my vision is better, brighter, clearer!  God’s Word is sweet to the taste!
“A moment just to start, a lifetime in my heart!”

No comments:

Post a Comment