Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"And You Profess to be a Christian?!"

I love those words.  I've heard them all my life, even from my own mother.  Except, that back then I wasn't too happy to hear them.  I wasn't living like a Christian, I wasn't thinking, or dressing, or talking like a Christian.  I deserved those words; they struck true and hard.  Today those words no longer frighten me; today they challenge me, open a door for me.  I answer them with a strong voice, a clear understanding, and a gratefulness for God's hand in my life.  And this is how that goes...

"I am a Christian.  Being a Christian doesn't make me perfect, nor have I ever claimed that it does.  Being a Christian means I surrender - daily - all I am to the One Who is trying to work His perfection in me.  Being a Christian means I fail myself but Christ never fails me.  Therefore I seek Him day by day, sometimes moment by moment.  Being a Christian means that though I sometimes resist Jesus' will, I humbly claim His forgiveness, and lean on Him for righteousness from that point on.  I know I am a Christian because I sin.  Were I not a Christian, it would not be sin, but 'a mistake,' or 'bad judgement,' or even 'a learning experience.'  It is my belief in Christ, and my desire to abide in Him and regard His standards that tell me I have sinned.  Christ lives in me, and as a Christian I lean on Him to live in Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment