Friday, February 25, 2011

"Trusting God" Stilettos?

I may be letting the cat out of the bag; I may be giving up all rights to a patent, but Scott has created a line of shoes (in his mind, thankfully) that will revolutionize women's fashion -- stilettos.  Oh, not just ordinary stilettos -- shower stilettos, pajama stilettos, roller skating stilettos, hiking stilettos, reading and writing stilettos -- the list goes on and on.  This may be partially my fault.  I wear heels constantly.  In fact, flats make up a minuscule 3% or so of my footwear.  At 5'4" I feel much more a part of the adult human race in heels.  No one resting their elbow on my head; no one cracking, "Find any spare change down there?"  I feel people take me far more seriously when I'm rocking at least a 3" advantage.  Can you say "Napoleon complex?"  Perhaps.  But truth is, we treat people differently because of their (no pun intended) shortcomings.  Their differences make a difference in the way we relate.

On somewhat of a flipside to that, I was listening to a Christian radio broadcast a few weeks ago,  I was outraged to hear a very intelligent woman say she would patronize a store owned by a person sharing her skin color, not because she felt more comfortable, not because we tend to naturally gravitate toward those like us, but because she would rather promote and increase that business, strictly on the premise of "giving a leg up" to a person who shares her skin tone.  Am I wrong to be incensed by this?  Do I want someone giving me a leg up (once, again, no pun intended) because I'm short? or a woman? or white?  I would like to live in a world in which I could at least believe I earned it.  My friendly customer service, a superior product, location, location, location -- not a handout because I'm a short, chunky, white chick.  Likewise, my skin would crawl if someone said to me, "She wrote a better article, but you're white."  Really?  Blech!

Dear God, I am human.  I look for comfort in the things that are familiar to me.  Help me not only to treat others fairly; help me not only to see others as You see, but help me to step from my "comfort zone" into Your loving arms, trust Your direction, and be salt and light to others -- all others -- as You command.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment