Sunday, December 26, 2010

Got a Twix?

Upon meeting my former counselor, an immensely "grounded" person who helped me through one of the darkest periods of my life, at a gathering last week...

H (with a warm, serene, therapist-like smile): Hello, Judi!  Good to see you.

Me: It's good to see you, too. (Probably not "good" as in a social, have-been-looking-forward-to-it sense, but more an ironic, full-circle sort of way)

H: How have you been?

Me (beaming): Wonderful! How have you been?

H (somewhat undecidedly, and not exactly "Eeyore-ish," but as if on the cusp of meltdown): Oh, OK.

Me (on the inside): Whoa.  How's that for surreal?
      (on the outside): Pass me one of those darling little cocktail weenies, please. 

Ok, not really. I don't say "darling," and I don't eat cocktail weenies, but the uncomfortable silence was the social equivalent, and the line "How 'bout them Eagles?" wasn't really appropriate for the situation.  Although, let me take this moment to say,
"E-A-G-L-E-S!  Go Vick!!!"  Now that's surreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment