Friday, June 18, 2010

Really Deep Thoughts by Judi Murphy

This morning I awoke from a nightmare! (a dawnmare?)  I dreamt one of my teeth had rotted out of my head; it fell out as I was crossing the street with a group of people.  There were other teeth that were rotten as well but, at least for the duration of my dream, they remained safely stowed in my mouth. That wasn't the part that scared me, though.  The part that caused me to awaken in fright was the concept that it didn't matter to me it had fallen out!  How on earth did I wind up in such a state that I would not care if one of my teeth rotted so badly it just fell from my mouth as I was crossing the street?

I'm not sure how I feel about the interpretation of dreams.  God spoke to many people throughout Bible history via dreams, however I believe there are plenty of charlatans out there today, many of them with links to the occult.  The dream was so disturbing, however, I had to see if I could find some sort of reason for, or meaning behind it. 

Allegedly, "teeth" dreams are extremely common; to my knowledge, this was my first.  Interpretations run from a fear of lying or being lied to, (Can't quite miss with that one, now can you?) to a fear of menopause and the lack of attractiveness it brings, (Has anyone seen Raquel Welch in those new Foster Grant commercials?  Bring it on!) to a loss of power or control.  Some interpret falling teeth as the onset of sickness or impending death, others as an unexpected financial windfall -- you know, like the Tooth Fairy.  Well, when I was a kid, the Tooth Fairy left a quarter -- not exactly what I'd call a windfall, and certainly not worth the risk of ignoring the "sickness and death" possibility.  Although my mom did hand me a penny she found on the way to our house today.  One site said it can be a Biblical caution about putting trust in something other than the One True God.  I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the need for regular flossing, but I will most certainly take that one to heart.

Given the plethora and scope of "advice" to be gleaned from my subconscious, I decided to see what I could learn from the "crossing the street" element of my dream.  At least on this one, most "experts" concur: charting the unknown, taking risk, possibly putting oneself in harm's way, and again, death.  So, let's just say I am standing on the cusp of something really big; let's assume I am embarking on a new journey.  Doesn't it stand to reason I would be fearful, apprehensive, maybe even feel a loss of control or experience powerlessness?  Hmmm...

Or maybe it was a friendly reminder of my dentist appointment in two weeks, and a warning to look both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment