Monday, June 28, 2010

Hindsight Isn't Always 20/20

Many people often use the expression, "If I knew then what I know now..."  When I've spent incredible amounts of time suffering the consequences or cleaning up the offal of a bad decision gone worse, I've thought the same thing.  Today I wondered what that would really be like.  Sure, it would have its advantages, but what about the disadvantages?

  I would never have recklessly, unrestrainedly slurped spaghetti, because such a careless act leaves gravy in your hair and stains on your shirt.

  I would never have played with frogs, and bugs, and worms because of Anthrax in the dirt and the Salmonella that amphibians carry.

  I would never have given my best smile and cheeriest "hello" to total strangers because they would think I was weird.

  I would never have gotten up in front of a group of my fellow students and their parents to read a poem I wrote that began, "Arbor Day is not involved in work, school or play.  It is not involved with bees; it is really involved with trees."

  I would never have learned to skate, or ride a bike, or sing, or cook, or hang upside down on the monkey bars because I look ridiculous when I fail.

  I would never have loved, because loving someone who doesn't love you back hurts.

"There is no failure except in no longer trying." ~Elbert Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment