Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Bit of Boasting


1 Corinthians 1:30, 31 -- "And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, 'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.'"

A few weeks ago we celebrated Easter, the celebration of the resurrection of Christ from the grave -- a glorious celebration, no doubt.  However, the significance of such an event is something that God does not allow us to easily forget.  Personally, I find it easy to focus on the salvation that occurred when Christ suffered and hung on that bloody wood for me; I find it easy to say, "What a wretch am I, and what a gracious gift He gave me."  I am a self- absorbed person.  BUT, the gift that our Heavenly Father gave is the gift that keeps on giving, not just for those new to the Gospel, but for me.  True, I am saved and will stay saved, but what of the Resurrection?

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is not simply about His victory over death and, therefore, ours as well; it is about Christ's role as "wisdom from God. righteousness, sanctification and redemption."  Christ became, and still is -- everyday -- wisdom, righteousness, redemption and sanctification for us.  When someone twists events and tries to damage the ones I love, and all I feel is pity for them; I am drawn to my knees to pray in earnest for the one who has assumed servitude to the Father of Lies.  That my friend, is Jesus.  When I am drowing in guilt for the things that I should have done (much worse than things I have done) and it consumes me to the point of darkest depression; I lift my eyes to Heaven and thank God for His peace and providence.  That my friend, is Jesus.

Christ lives within me day after day, becoming God's wisdom, being the righteousness that pens these words, redeeming me from my own vituperation, restoring my self-respect.  Christ is the center of anything truly good I can do.  And here am I, boasting ONLY in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment